by Buffy Owens
Pesto is one of my favorite things to make and have on hand. Always! I keep a jar in the refrigerator and frozen pesto cubes in the freezer! It is one of my secret weapons for sneaking in a little extra dose of green goodness. I put spoonfuls of it on just about everything. I tell you, it makes any meal feel gourmet.
And the best part... this recipe takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
What You Need…generally speaking.
One thing I love about pesto is that you can be a little loose with your ingredients. Less Kale, more basil or even no basil. Skip the cheese. Have it with nuts or without. So use this recipe as a general guide and adjust it to what you have on hand and to your taste preferences of the day.
Kale Pesto Recipe
Make this pesto and put it on things and adore it with all your veggie-loving heart.
Makes: 1-2 Cups
- 2 Cups Kale, cleaned and torn
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup Nuts (walnuts, cashews, and pistachios work the best), roughly chopped 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup rated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Pulse the kale, basil, oilve oil, salt, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the nuts adn cheese. Pulse until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
NOTE: This pesto can be frozen in ice-cube trays or small mini-muffin tin cups. I put the frozen cubes of pesto into freezer bags and freeze it for a rainy day.