Kale & Beet Winter Salad
by Buffy Owens
You Can’t Beet This Winter Salad
You don’t often read winter and salad together, but I’ll tell you this is the secret to staying happy and nourished all winter long. Raw vegetables are rich in enzymes and vitamins that are easy to absorb and make digestion a breeze. Plus if you’ve read my Red Barszcz recipe then you know how nourishing beets can be.
Sticking to seasonal vegetables for your winter salads is challenging, but not impossible. Both beets and kale are hearty winter vegetables that retain their tastiness and nutritional worth even through the harsh winter months. Pair with that some healthy fats from avocado and vitamin C from fresh lemons and you’ve got yourself a salad fit for a queen in the middle of February!
Here’s my absolute favorite winter salad recipe.
Kale + Beet Winter Salad Recipe
This is a perfect Winter Salad! Although you can eat any time of year.
Makes: 2-3 Servings
- 2 Large Beets (Steamed) OR use BPA FREE canned beets in water
- 1 Bunch Kale
- 1 Handful Fresh Basil OR 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Whole Avocado (Chopped)
- 1 Medium Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Sesame Seed Oil Optional
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- If using raw beets, place a large pot with an inch of water on the stove over high heat. Place a metal steam basket inside. Chop the beets into quarters and place in the steam basket. Cover and steam the beets for about 10 to 12 minutes until they can be easily pricked with a fork. Remove from heat and serve on top of the salad.
- Add the kale, basil, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to a large bowl. Use clean hands to massage the kale until all the ingredients are well mixed and the kale is wilted. Top with pumpkin seeds and beets.