This cake is gluten free and full of goodness. Packed full of protein and good fats….perfect for warding off the sugar crash that usually follows cake indulgence.
Here is What You Will Need:
2 medium thin-skinned oranges or 3 lemons
6 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cup ground almonds
Optional Added Goodness:
Chopped Candied Ginger (cook in cake)
Dried Cranberries (cook in cake)
Poppy Seeds (cook in cake)
Slivered almonds (topping)
Dark Chocolate melted with Coconut oil (topping)
How To Put It All Together:
1. Scrub fruit. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 2 hours. Drain and let cool.Once cool cut the fruit in half, remove seeds. Put fruit (skin and all) in food processor and puree.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 1/2 inch springform pan and line with parchment paper.
3. Measure out 1 1/4 cup fruit puree.
4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with sugar and baking powder at a medium-high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Add the ground almonds and mix well. Mix in fruit puree in 2-3 additions, mixing for 20 seconds between each addition. Then stir in any optional goodness you desire (candied ginger, dried cranberries, poppy seeds, etc.)
5. Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour or until the cake is firm and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top begins to get too brown, cover loosely with foil. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove.
A FLUFFIER, EASIER VERSION!
Simply add your eggs directly to the food processor and whip it all together. We even threw the candied ginger into the mix and it worked like a charm!
I have a few other ideas for how to play with this basic recipe listed below. However, I would love to hear about your favorite version of the recipe or any suggestions on how to morph this recipe into another taste treat.
- Pureed Pumpkin (Done this, so very delicious)
- Whipping the yolks in the food processor, whipping the egg white separately and folding them in. (will let you know the results)
- Try this recipe with apple sauce and sliced apples soaked in Rum. YUM!
- Pineapple upside down, flourless orange cake anyone?
- Bunt pan with curves galore. (Don’t forget to grease and dust)